Blackbird Nest Box
- Dovecote Nest Box Details
- Siting of Blackbird Nest Box
- Monitoring & Inspection
- Maintenance and Details Blackbird Nest Box
This Blackbird Nester is handmade in the UK from solid FSC certified timber.
Designed in the form of a deep open ledge with an apex roof for shelter. This emulates just the type of spot that a blackbird likes to build its nest.
Leave the nest box empty initially, as blackbirds will bring in their own nesting material. It would be best if you cleaned nests annually, but only after you are sure the nest is vacated after September.
Blackbirds tend to have a long breeding season and may have several broods.
As with all our handmade habitats, the blackbird nester is made from slow-seasoned FSC certified timber.
Being slow-dried makes it very durable, and this conscious choice eliminates the need for chemical preservatives.
We also use robust screwed and jointed construction techniques for longevity
Dimensions: 23 x 28 x 23 cm
- Weight 1.2kg
The Blackbird nester should be hung from its brass hook at the height of at least 1.5m, preferably concealed in some foliage inaccessible by predators.
The nest box should be sheltered from the prevailing wind. You may find robins, dunnocks and wagtails, which like an open-fronted nest box, may also be attracted to build their nests here.
- Nesting is most likely during April and May and in the event of chicks hatching there will be frenetic feeding activity by the parent birds.
- Take care not to disturb during this time as any intervention may result in the parent birds' eggs or young being abandoned.
- The nest boxes are made from slow-seasoned FSC timber and may be painted annually with matching water-based paints to maintain their appearance.
- The nest box may be cleaned out of any old nesting material and disinfected with a suitable product outside of the breeding season (Sept to Feb).
We aim to deliver all items within 72 hours of order however, please be aware that some items may temporarily run out of stock so please allow up to 15 working days for delivery. Items are rarely delayed but it does happen from time to time.
To see Our standard, reduced and FREE Delivery Rates click here
Within Ireland, all my deliveries are made by An Post Courier service. Soon, all their vehicles will be electric vehicles and thus, the use of fossil fuels is hugely reduced in the delivery of my orders within Ireland. Packaging, where possible is completely compostable.