Red Squirrel Nest Box
- Product Details
The Red Squirrel Nest box is a handmade wooden nesting box for red squirrels that grey squirrels may occupy. In the UK, red squirrels have declined massively in recent decades due to the loss of suitable coniferous woodland habitats and the American grey squirrel's introduction, which out-competes the red squirrel for food.
This nest box has a host of features that ensure that the occupants are safe from predators.
Red Squirrel Nest Box Features:
- Deep nest box.
- Two entrance/exit holes – one on the front centre and one on the side.
- Internal and external ladder features enable to young to climb the slippery sides of the box.
- Perching ledge that needs to be fitted on the box once received.
- A pitched roof that sheds rain away from the nest box
- Removal of front panel to allow box cleaning.
- Slow-seasoned untreated FSC certified timber is used to negate the need to use any chemicals preservatives which may deter sensitive mammals from using the nest box.
Dimensions: 54.5 x 24.5 x 29 cm
The red squirrel box should be sited high in mature woodland between 3m and 4m using the backplate mount. Face the box away from both direct sunlight and the prevailing weather. You may fill the box to half full with dehydrated nesting material such as leaves, straw or hay.
Breeding red squirrels are protected under the Wildlife & Countryside Act, so a licensed worker may only inspect an occupied nest box.